Whether you want to get a donation for your business, or maybe you want to get something from another person. Sometimes you’re going to find that it’s a lot easier to request something via snail mail, rather than sending an e-mail, or even a phone call.
When you’re looking to write a sample letter of request, I will give you some great tips that you can use, and a sample letter that you can use, when you’re ready to write one out.
Why should I write a letter of request?
When writing a letter like this, I would recommend it for those asking for something such as a recommendation, requesting information, asking for something such as a raise, donation, or even a reference. These aren’t only for businesses, but for personal use as well.
Tip and tricks that you can use
- Simple works: Like any letter that you write in life, you want to get straight to the point, and you want to keep it sweet. Don’t write 18 paragraphs. Instead, tell them right off the bat on why you’re writing.
- Give information – why? When writing your letter, let them know why you need this request. If you need something such as more information, tell them how you’re going to use it. The more they know, the more they will feel comfortable with you.
- Step by step instruction: When writing, let them know what you will need. Let’s say that you want a fiscal report for 2008. Let them know that you need the full report, and you will need the charts and graphs as well. If they want to live up to your request, make sure you get everything, so that you don’t have to contact them again.
- Support it: If you feel that they aren’t going to give you this information, give them some evidence or documents that they may want to see if you feel you need to give it.
- Let them contact you: They may want to contact you via another route, besides the mail. Leave your name, phone number, email, and more. Make sure that they have other options, in order to contact you.
- Thank them: In the end, make sure that you thank them for their effort. Let them know that their work is appreciated.
Example of a Letter of Request
Address to reciever
Dear Mr / Ms. Jones:
RE: Request for documents
My name is [name here] and I’m writing you today because I would like to request some documents that I need from you.,
The reason that I’m requesting these documents today is because our company needs the 2008 profit chart, in order to further conduct our study with XYZ company. Included with this letter is the documentation that you can look at in order to know where our research is headed.
If you have any questions regarding this matter, feel free to call me at [number] or e-mail me at [email]. Thank you for your time and prompt attention to this matter.
This is just one example. As long as you keep it simple and you let them know what you want, you should be able to get what you want in a letter or request.