Often when you think of classified ads, you probably think of some guy selling his old TV or pair of golf clubs but did you know that classified ads is one of the most successful ways to advertise your business? Classified ads have been around for ages and with no end in the near future, it’s important to know how to advertise properly on classified ads so that you can get the business you deserve.
Where do you want to advertise? Classified ads are not only in newspapers, they are also in other publications such as magazines, online services, and more. Know where you want to advertise and explore the pricing options. It never hurts to advertise in all of them!
Know the pricing structure – Depending on who you advertise with, this will determine the pricing. The bigger the audience, the more you’re going to pay but technically, they will charge you per the line. Most classifieds will only allow you to advertise up to 5 lines but they all vary.
TEST! – The world you’ll hear the most when it comes to marketing is the T word. Yes, testing. If you don’t test, you’re not going to maximize your results. This is why it’s always important to track your ads so that you know where people are coming from. If you don’t make a profit, move onto another publication. If one is working fine, tweak it a little bit until you get great results.
Now that you know the three golden rules, you’ll want to know how to create a successful classified ad. I’ll give you a few pointers and at the end of this post, I will provide you with an example of an ad that will sell.
- Keep your ad simple – Never include words that people don’t know what you’re talking about. Instead, keep things at a elementary level. Let them know what you’re about and what you’re selling.
- Keep it short and sweet – Since classified ads don’t have a lot of space, you’re going to want to keep it as short and sweet as possible. Explain as much as you can in a few lines.
- Hire a copywriter if you need to- If you’re not a good writer, I would recommend you hire someone professionally that can do the job for you. Their work alone can pay off in a few weeks.
- Choose the right category – When placing your ad, make sure it’s under the right category. When people are looking for a particular item or service, they look in a category. If your service isn’t under the right category, you’re probably missing out!
- Talk to the people – Act like you know your audience and they know you. You don’t need that professional tone but rather a personal tone. Let them be comfortable with you.
Now that you know some pointers, here’s an example ad that will hopefully help you out with your classified ad creation.
I’ve made more money than I did when I was working full time at a Fortune 500 company. I have no boss. I can work at my own pace. I have more family time. Learn what I do with my simple and effective book. Send $15 to 123 ABC Street, Anytown, USA 12345. $15 comes back to you if you don’t like what you read.
This is for someone that is sending a book. You can take the same concept and apply it to any business you may have. Hopefully by now you have a better understanding on how to create a simple and effective classified ad. Remember, testing is key as well as re-wording your ad. Find the right copy and the gold is yours!